PROFINET IO controller stack?

James W.

PROFINET IO controller stack?

Hi Sir,

Based on the brochure available on the official PI website, the "PROFINET communication stack" is equipped with comprehensive "IO controller" and "Device" functionalities. However, I am seeking guidance or documentation on implementing a controller. Although there is a Doxygen document included in the source code, it lacks sufficient detail on utilizing the stack effectively. Can I expect any forthcoming guidance specifically tailored for implementing the stack?

Thanks,
James W.
BartSimpson

Re: PROFINET IO controller stack?

James W. wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 02:09 Hi Sir,

Based on the brochure available on the official PI website, the "PROFINET communication stack" is equipped with comprehensive "IO controller" and "Device" functionalities. However, I am seeking guidance or documentation on implementing a controller. Although there is a Doxygen document included in the source code, it lacks sufficient detail on utilizing the stack effectively. Can I expect any forthcoming guidance specifically tailored for implementing the stack?

Thanks,
James W.
The Community Stack is a project in which different companies work together on the development of the PROFINET stack. The project is aimed at technology providers and companies with extensive experience in device development. The aim is to simplify the development of new PROFINET functions with a common core and to increase the quality of the products right from the start.

It is definitely not a freely available development kit, as can be purchased from various manufacturers.

The Community Stack itself provides the core of PROFINET communication. It contains all the functions that a controller or device requires, regardless of whether RT or IRT with or without isochronous mode.

However, it does not include the driver of the hardware (or ASIC/MCU) or API for a PN Controller or a PN Device. Also there are no examples. This is because these functions are part of the PROFINET Devlopment Kits.

One example of how the stack can be used is the "PROFINET Driver" development product. You can find more here:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs ... /109817202
Ask another Question