Vendor and Device ID

Jack0004

Vendor and Device ID

For our new product generation (the subject of the current certification), the same Device_ID is used as for our old product generation.
As far as I know, devices should be clearly distinguishable by the Vendor ID and the Device ID. Is the identical Device ID of our different devices a problem ?
Or do only the module IDs have to be different ?
We are concerned that there could be problems configuring the devices if, for example, the user connects our new device and, due to the identical device ID, the old device is now available for selection for configuration for the project planning.
roadrunner
PROFINET Expert

Jack0004 wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 18:32 For our new product generation (the subject of the current certification), the same Device_ID is used as for our old product generation.
As far as I know, devices should be clearly distinguishable by the Vendor ID and the Device ID. Is the identical Device ID of our different devices a problem ?
Or do only the module IDs have to be different ?
We are concerned that there could be problems configuring the devices if, for example, the user connects our new device and, due to the identical device ID, the old device is now available for selection for configuration for the project planning.
Devices of a product family should be described within the same GSD (less maintenance).
These devices have the same vendor ID and device ID, but differ in the DAP module ID.
The DAPs should be different from their name in such a way that the customer is not confused (e.g. about a higher version).
The DAPs from the previous product generation must continue to exist in the GSD.
This can also be explained to the end customer as an advantage that he can operate both the old and the new devices with a same GSD.
Francis

Obtaining Vendor ID

How can I acquire a vendor ID for my device ?​
DanielS
PROFINET Expert

Francis wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 10:30 How can I acquire a vendor ID for my device ?​

You can acquire your vendor ID directly at the PI Office.
Just write them an e-mail with your request and they will help you.

PROFIBUS Nutzerorganisation e.V. (PNO)
Ohiostr. 8
76149 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49 721 986 197 42
Fax: +49 721 986 197 11
certification(at)profibus(dot)com
Francis

DanielS wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 13:57
Great, thanks a lot !
Ask another Question