Unexpected LLDP frame from "PROFIBUS" TLV?

Daniel

Unexpected LLDP frame from "PROFIBUS" TLV?

Hello Profinet experts,

currently I'm working with a certification tool from ODVA (CT20) to test our Ethernet/IP device. Unforunately it raises an error "Received LLDP frame from unexpected Source MAC Address: 00:0a:cd:2c:ed:aa".
I examined this LLDP frame with Wireshark and see some interesting information of PROFIBUS.

Frame 3475:

Content:

Who sends these PROFIBUS/PROFINET values?

On my Dell laptop I connected a D-Link 62121 which has this MAC address and only our device via a LAN cable.

I should avoid those LLDP frames. How can I find the sender on my laptop?
Do you have an idea why these LLDP frames are sent with TLV data "PROFIBUS"?

In task manager I don't find any process of profinet and can't imagine to have a Profinet-program installed which works in the background.

Would be really glad if you can help me. Thanks a lot!
benja_m

Re: Unexpected LLDP frame from "PROFIBUS" TLV?

Daniel wrote: 09 Jan 2024, 14:42 Hello Profinet experts,

currently I'm working with a certification tool from ODVA (CT20) to test our Ethernet/IP device. Unforunately it raises an error "Received LLDP frame from unexpected Source MAC Address: 00:0a:cd:2c:ed:aa".
I examined this LLDP frame with Wireshark and see some interesting information of PROFIBUS.

Frame 3475:

Content:

Who sends these PROFIBUS/PROFINET values?

On my Dell laptop I connected a D-Link 62121 which has this MAC address and only our device via a LAN cable.

I should avoid those LLDP frames. How can I find the sender on my laptop?
Do you have an idea why these LLDP frames are sent with TLV data "PROFIBUS"?

In task manager I don't find any process of profinet and can't imagine to have a Profinet-program installed which works in the background.

Would be really glad if you can help me. Thanks a lot!
Have a look at the extended network interface settings (where you can set IP parameters for the interface). You may find something there which is responsible. Could be an installed Profinet software (e.g. TIA Portal).
Daniel

benja_m wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 10:30 Have a look at the extended network interface settings (where you can set IP parameters for the interface). You may find something there which is responsible. Could be an installed Profinet software (e.g. TIA Portal).
In properties of the D-Link 62121 I found 2 elements which seem to cause the disturbing LLDP frames:

How to find out which program installed these 2 elements "PROFINET IO protocol (DCP/LLDP)" and "SIMATIC Industrial Ethernet (ISO)"?
I definitely don't have TIA installed. The only software from Siemens is "Primary setup tool v4.2". Do you think it installed both elements?
olliew

The primary setup tool may install those, not sure.
Do the LLDP frames disappear when you disable PROFINET IO protocol (DCP/LLDP) ?
Daniel

olliew wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 11:59 The primary setup tool may install those, not sure.
After disabling "SIMATIC Industrial Ethernet (ISO)" they seem to stop. But however they restarted some time later. Then in addition I disabled "PROFINET IO protocol (DCP/LLDP)" and now it seems to be "quiet".

Since I don't have admin rights on my computer it's not easy to remove and re-install some programs to see what they install in my network card properties. If someone knows from which program the 2 mentioned properties come from, feel free to write an answer ;)
Daniel

Daniel wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 13:25
olliew wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 11:59 The primary setup tool may install those, not sure.
After disabling "SIMATIC Industrial Ethernet (ISO)" they seem to stop. But however they restarted some time later. Then in addition I disabled "PROFINET IO protocol (DCP/LLDP)" and now it seems to be "quiet".

Since I don't have admin rights on my computer it's not easy to remove and re-install some programs to see what they install in my network card properties. If someone knows from which program the 2 mentioned properties come from, feel free to write an answer ;)
Actually in Primary Setup Tool it's possible to enable and disable "LLDP/DCP" and "PNIO Adapter" on the installed network interfaces:

By default all are activated. Now it's clear who causes the LLDP frames.
Ask another Question