Profinet as a software solution

Bill84

Profinet as a software solution

Is it possible to add Profinet to my device using a software solution ?​
benja_m

Bill84 wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 11:27 Is it possible to add Profinet to my device using a software solution ?​
Yes, it is possible. There are some vendors available offering such software-only solutions.

Depending on hardware capabilities, you may have some limitations such as
  • not reaching the highest specified netload class
  • not reaching fastest specified network update time
  • not being able to have a synchronized communication (IRT or TSN Streams)
But for most devices, that will not be a sevear issue.
ip01

Re: Profinet as a software solution

Is the pi profinet-community-stack a suitable start point for creating a client software implementation on Windows PC?
benja_m

ip01 wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 13:19 Is the pi profinet-community-stack a suitable start point for creating a client software implementation on Windows PC?

I advise you not to go that way unless you are very experienced with Profinet. The Community Stack is only a pure Protocol stack without dedicated APIs for the application and only an example adaption to Ethernet.

I recommend using a dedicated SDK from a technology provider, which can off course base on the Community Stack.
Thanatos

Bill84 wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 11:27 Is it possible to add Profinet to my device using a software solution ?​
Hey Bill! ok you just blew my mind... Can you back this truck up for us newbies? :D
What type of device are you thinking?
and somehow you are going to implement Profinet onto it? :shock:
Hmutlu

Re: Profinet as a software solution

please check the below solution;

https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/ ... s/10228079
FloLi

Re:

benja_m wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 09:11
ip01 wrote: 06 Oct 2023, 13:19 Is the pi profinet-community-stack a suitable start point for creating a client software implementation on Windows PC?

I advise you not to go that way unless you are very experienced with Profinet. The Community Stack is only a pure Protocol stack without dedicated APIs for the application and only an example adaption to Ethernet.

I recommend using a dedicated SDK from a technology provider, which can off course base on the Community Stack.
Can you point out some Profinet SDK providers?
Is it possible to get the community stack for evaluation before deciding on a membership?
benja_m

Re: Re:

FloLi wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 12:17
benja_m wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 09:11

Can you point out some Profinet SDK providers?
Is it possible to get the community stack for evaluation before deciding on a membership?
Did you have a look here: https://www.profinet.com/profinet-expla ... ementation
There is a page linked showing technology providers. This can give you a hint.
Ask another Question