Is TMDX654IDKEVM a must for Test Bundle

cet_someone

Is TMDX654IDKEVM a must for Test Bundle

as for the topic says, right now TMDX654IDKEVM on TI is out of stock. I've no other ways to get TMDX654IDKEVM. If I want to use TestBundle for some basic pre-tests just like DCP or other consistences, do I have some other ways to solve this?
AlfredoAtSherpa

Re: Is TMDX654IDKEVM a must for Test Bundle

cet_someone wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 10:23 as for the topic says, right now TMDX654IDKEVM on TI is out of stock. I've no other ways to get TMDX654IDKEVM. If I want to use TestBundle for some basic pre-tests just like DCP or other consistences, do I have some other ways to solve this?
Hello. I just checked in the TI Online store and it seems there is inventory available.
https://www.ti.com/tool/ja-jp/TMDX654IDKEVM
Anyways, for the current version of the ART (Automated Real-time tester) tool the TMDX654IDKEVM is needed.
I guess if you are starting your development and would like to test the DCP functionality you may try to download an older version of ART, the last one that did not require TMDX654IDKEVM (not sure which version it was).
But if you only need to debug the DCP function, then I recommend you download the Profinet Commander which in its free version has DCP client functionality. Also the PRONETA could be useful for this purpose.
Attachments
TI_Board.png
TI_Board.png (93.39 KiB) Viewed 10973 times
cet_someone

AlfredoAtSherpa wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 11:32
cet_someone wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 10:23 as for the topic says, right now TMDX654IDKEVM on TI is out of stock. I've no other ways to get TMDX654IDKEVM. If I want to use TestBundle for some basic pre-tests just like DCP or other consistences, do I have some other ways to solve this?
Hello. I just checked in the TI Online store and it seems there is inventory available.
Anyways, for the current version of the ART (Automated Real-time tester) tool the TMDX654IDKEVM is needed.
I guess if you are starting your development and would like to test the DCP functionality you may try to download an older version of ART, the last one that did not require TMDX654IDKEVM (not sure which version it was).
But if you only need to debug the DCP function, then I recommend you download the Profinet Commander which in its free version has DCP client functionality. Also the PRONETA could be useful for this purpose.
Hello. I'm so appreciate for your immediate answer!
first, I don't understand what's wrong with the stock.Cause I used to consult with TI's FAE,they told me they could find some stocks online, just the same as you.But when to place an order, something wrong occurred.... :o :o
Yes, right now the development is up to end.So I want to check all the function.Since the hardware is missing, I want to check the basic function , just based the PC enviroment. If there are versions that donot requre TMDX654IDKEVM, can I get the way to downlode those version? I'd like to have a try!

Thank u again, Alfredo!
j.rost
PROFINET Expert

cet_someone wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 02:46
first, I don't understand what's wrong with the stock.Cause I used to consult with TI's FAE,they told me they could find some stocks online, just the same as you.But when to place an order, something wrong occurred.... :o :o
Yes, right now the development is up to end.So I want to check all the function.Since the hardware is missing, I want to check the basic function , just based the PC enviroment. If there are versions that donot requre TMDX654IDKEVM, can I get the way to downlode those version? I'd like to have a try!

Thank u again, Alfredo!
The current versions of the test system always require the TI IDK including the correctly installed firmware. The last version which supported DCP testing without additional Hardware is from April 2021 and is definitely not up to date to the current test specifications. I am not sure if this version is still downloadable via the PI webpage. To my knowledge it also used a .NET version which is not supported anymore by Microsoft and is not recommended to be used.

In regards of the availibility of the TI IDK I did not hear from TI that it is out of stock. I contacted them and I will keep you updated. In the meantime please contact your TI FAE and check what went wrong with your order.
AlfredoAtSherpa

Thank u again, Alfredo!
You're welcome, cet_someone.
With regards to older versions of the test tool, I do not see the downloads available in the profibus.com site. Maybe someone in the PI can supply these older tools to you? On the other hand, maybe the PI would not want to provide a discontinued tool because it would generate additional support requests for a discontinued software. For example, the older tools do not support NPCAP, but only the older and discontinued WinPCAP. If you already installed the latest Wireshark on the PC, it would be cumbersome to install the old tool.

I have the installer from the previous ART as a backup, including one that does not use the TMDX654IDKEVM. However, I wonder if I may get in trouble with the PI for providing this software. Perhaps if I provide this software to another PI member it would be OK?

Finally, here in Japan I resell the TMDX654IDKEVM and the Anel or SynAccess power outlets used for the ART. I guess the rules of the forum forbid promotion of one's business, but since you seem to be in trouble for not being able to get the TMDX654IDKEVM, suffice it to say that my company has some brand-new units of TMDX654IDKEVM available. If you need to discuss this in further detail I can give you my e-mail to discuss about this particular topic.
cet_someone

AlfredoAtSherpa wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 10:20

Thank u again, Alfredo!
With regards to older versions of the test tool, I do not see the downloads available in the profibus.com site. Maybe someone in the PI can supply these older tools to you? On the other hand, maybe the PI would not want to provide a discontinued tool because it would generate additional support requests for a discontinued software. For example, the older tools do not support NPCAP, but only the older and discontinued WinPCAP. If you already installed the latest Wireshark on the PC, it would be cumbersome to install the old tool.

I have the installer from the previous ART as a backup, including one that does not use the TMDX654IDKEVM. However, I wonder if I may get in trouble with the PI for providing this software. Perhaps if I provide this software to another PI member it would be OK?

Finally, here in Japan I resell the TMDX654IDKEVM and the Anel or SynAccess power outlets used for the ART. I guess the rules of the forum forbid promotion of one's business, but since you seem to be in trouble for not being able to get the TMDX654IDKEVM, suffice it to say that my company has some brand-new units of TMDX654IDKEVM available. If you need to discuss this in further detail I can give you my e-mail to discuss about this particular topic.
hello, Alfredo.
I heard that you now got the testBundle version without using TMDX654IDKEVM. Sinece I'll not use it in any illegal ways, so you don't need to worry about the trouble from PI and I'll appricite it very much if you send it to me(my personal email: 18602754013@163.com, using it for us to discuss some other topics), cause we are the PI members as the same to you.
Any way, as for the newest test bundle version, if I get a MDX654IDKEVM board, what appliction shoud I load to the board, cause when I get the new board, there is no any application in it. Is the application running in the MDX654IDKEVM board cooperating with the ART system, should be got from PI China, or just could founded in the SDK, provided by TI.
Otherwise, about the the Anel or SynAccess power outlets you've mentioned before, is it a must for ART? or when I test the DUT, what part of the test should use it.
Looking forward to your answer, profinet expert, MR. Alfredo! :D :D :D :D
cet_someone

j.rost wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 07:52

Thank u again, Alfredo!
The current versions of the test system always require the TI IDK including the correctly installed firmware. The last version which supported DCP testing without additional Hardware is from April 2021 and is definitely not up to date to the current test specifications. I am not sure if this version is still downloadable via the PI webpage. To my knowledge it also used a .NET version which is not supported anymore by Microsoft and is not recommended to be used.

In regards of the availibility of the TI IDK I did not hear from TI that it is out of stock. I contacted them and I will keep you updated. In the meantime please contact your TI FAE and check what went wrong with your order.
Hi, j.rost:
if I get the TI board, the board should be a pure board, wthout any firmware installed in it。which app in the IDK should I download into the board?
j.rost
PROFINET Expert

cet_someone wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 10:15

Thank u again, Alfredo!

hello, Alfredo.
I heard that you now got the testBundle version without using TMDX654IDKEVM. Sinece I'll not use it in any illegal ways, so you don't need to worry about the trouble from PI and I'll appricite it very much if you send it to me(my personal email: 18602754013@163.com, using it for us to discuss some other topics), cause we are the PI members as the same to you.
Any way, as for the newest test bundle version, if I get a MDX654IDKEVM board, what appliction shoud I load to the board, cause when I get the new board, there is no any application in it. Is the application running in the MDX654IDKEVM board cooperating with the ART system, should be got from PI China, or just could founded in the SDK, provided by TI.
Otherwise, about the the Anel or SynAccess power outlets you've mentioned before, is it a must for ART? or when I test the DUT, what part of the test should use it.
The application which needs to be loaded to the SD Card of the TI IDK is part of the installation of the Automated RT Tester. When you download the latest test bundle you can find the application under PN-Test/AutomatedRtTester_v2.44.1.2.zip. Unzip this folder and install the Automated RT Tester. After installing the Automated RT Tester you can find the required FW in the installation folder (typically under C:\Program Files (x86)\Automated RT-Tester) in the subfolder EtsFirmware. In this folder there also is a manual how to flash it to the SD Card.

The PowerOutlet is making it more comfortable to execute the test. There are roughly 30 Switch off/on requests during the whole test run which are automated when using the Anel PowerOutlet. If you do it manually, it will stall in the test scenario until it you switch the device off and on again manually. So manually doing it, requires regular attention and makes it impossible to do regular automated runs against it via CI/CD pipelines.

There is the possibility available to integrate other power outlets than the Anel power outlet, which is defined in the test specification, via a documented API. The documentation (including an example) for this you can find in the installation path of the Automated RT Tester under Documentation\PowerOutlet. So you can integrate a potentially available remote controllable power outlet for the usage with the Automated RT Tester.
The SynAccess power outlet which was mentioned by Alfredo, is actually implemented against this documented API and maintained by the PI testlab in the US. The library (and source code) for it is delivered with the latest test bundle and can be found there in the folder PN-Test\add_on_power-outlet .
cet_someone

j.rost wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 11:27
cet_someone wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 10:15

hello, Alfredo.
The application which needs to be loaded to the SD Card of the TI IDK is part of the installation of the Automated RT Tester. When you download the latest test bundle you can find the application under PN-Test/AutomatedRtTester_v2.44.1.2.zip. Unzip this folder and install the Automated RT Tester. After installing the Automated RT Tester you can find the required FW in the installation folder (typically under C:\Program Files (x86)\Automated RT-Tester) in the subfolder EtsFirmware. In this folder there also is a manual how to flash it to the SD Card.

The PowerOutlet is making it more comfortable to execute the test. There are roughly 30 Switch off/on requests during the whole test run which are automated when using the Anel PowerOutlet. If you do it manually, it will stall in the test scenario until it you switch the device off and on again manually. So manually doing it, requires regular attention and makes it impossible to do regular automated runs against it via CI/CD pipelines.

There is the possibility available to integrate other power outlets than the Anel power outlet, which is defined in the test specification, via a documented API. The documentation (including an example) for this you can find in the installation path of the Automated RT Tester under Documentation\PowerOutlet. So you can integrate a potentially available remote controllable power outlet for the usage with the Automated RT Tester.
The SynAccess power outlet which was mentioned by Alfredo, is actually implemented against this documented API and maintained by the PI testlab in the US. The library (and source code) for it is delivered with the latest test bundle and can be found there in the folder PN-Test\add_on_power-outlet .
hi, j.rost:

Wooooooow, you explained my question so clearly. And I have found the image used to load to the Board in the installation folder.

I've got another two question when I reffer to the manual 《ProductDocumentation.pdf》to the ART system.
1)The system mentioned Decive B(one of Scalance X204 IRT/ Scalance X202-2P IRT) and Device D/E(an ET200SP or ET200MP). Is Device B and D/E is also must be included in the whole test system? If I don't have this Device B/D/E, what test case would the system miss? What effect can Device B,and Device D/E act?

2)does the test Bundle covers all the test case operated by the official Profinet Certificate? That is to say, If when I run the ART and all the tests pass, then there will be a high probability of obtaining the certification?
AlfredoAtSherpa

cet_someone wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 12:14 I've got another two question when I reffer to the manual 《ProductDocumentation.pdf》to the ART system.
1)The system mentioned Decive B(one of Scalance X204 IRT/ Scalance X202-2P IRT) and Device D/E(an ET200SP or ET200MP). Is Device B and D/E is also must be included in the whole test system? If I don't have this Device B/D/E, what test case would the system miss? What effect can Device B,and Device D/E act?
Yes, devices "b" (SCALANCE), "a" (S7-1500) are part of the standard setup. If the field device has two Profinet ports, "d" (remote IO) is needed too. "e" is needed if the device has three ports, which is very rare.

If you do not have the SCALANCE and the ET-200, then you wll only be able to execute some point-to-point test cases. The DCP test cases needs "b" and "d" devices.
cet_someone wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 12:14
2)does the test Bundle covers all the test case operated by the official Profinet Certificate? That is to say, If when I run the ART and all the tests pass, then there will be a high probability of obtaining the certification?
Theoretically yes, if you execute the tests properly. There is one test case (the security or netload test case, that needs an S71500, a Linux PC with a packet generator tool and one particular switch.
This netload test case is being ported to the ETS (embedded test system, that is the TMDX654IDKEVM) in a future release, after which neither the S71500 PLC nor the Linux packet generator will be needed.

The post below is my first post in which I discussed, and got a nice reply, this test case.
viewtopic.php?t=55&sid=a25ee2787e6f15db455cbcad703ce53a
cet_someone

AlfredoAtSherpa wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 12:35
cet_someone wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 12:14 I've got another two question when I reffer to the manual 《ProductDocumentation.pdf》to the ART system.
Yes, devices "b" (SCALANCE), "a" (S7-1500) are part of the standard setup. If the field device has two Profinet ports, "d" (remote IO) is needed too. "e" is needed if the device has three ports, which is very rare.

If you do not have the SCALANCE and the ET-200, then you wll only be able to execute some point-to-point test cases. The DCP test cases needs "b" and "d" devices.
cet_someone wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 12:14
Theoretically yes, if you execute the tests properly. There is one test case (the security or netload test case, that needs an S71500, a Linux PC with a packet generator tool and one particular switch.
This netload test case is being ported to the ETS (embedded test system, that is the TMDX654IDKEVM) in a future release, after which neither the S71500 PLC nor the Linux packet generator will be needed.

The post below is my first post in which I discussed, and got a nice reply, this test case.
viewtopic.php?t=55&sid=a25ee2787e6f15db455cbcad703ce53a
Alright,then I can see, for the whole ART system, actualy not TMDX654IDKEVM board is the only needed hardware, we also need Device B/D to complete the test.

for now the profinet device I'm now developping, just up to the requirement of the CC-A/B, and one port only. So could I simplify the system, just get the TMDX654IDKEVM board?
AlfredoAtSherpa

cet_someone wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 03:16 Alright,then I can see, for the whole ART system, actualy not TMDX654IDKEVM board is the only needed hardware, we also need Device B/D to complete the test.

for now the profinet device I'm now developping, just up to the requirement of the CC-A/B, and one port only. So could I simplify the system, just get the TMDX654IDKEVM board?
OK, I explain again. The ART System is currently going through a transition period. The aim is to port all the test cases that use the so-called "standard setup" to the ETS (embedded test system) which requires the TMDX654IDKEVM. I would definitively advice you to get the TMDX654IDKEVM because most of the test cases have already been ported to this TMDX654IDKEVM/ETS system, and of course because you will be able to use the latest version of the ART.
Depending on which stage of the development you are at this moment, if you are just starting, most likely by the time your device is ready for testing a newer version of the ETS will be available.
Having said that, if you are developing a PROFINET IO device, even if it is only class A or class B, I would advice that you get an S7-1500, and if the device will support MRP client (media redundancy protocol), then I would also advice you get the SCALANCE switch and the ET-200. Not so much for conformance purposes but more for the development and for after sales support as well.

If you have another PLC which would let you test the cyclic function of your application, then maybe you could save the cost of the PLC and the TIA Portal license. If you used CODESYS for RaspberryPi the runtime license is very reasonable and the engineering tool requires no license.

I would also advice getting the Profinet Commander licensed version because it will allow you to very easily test and debug the I&M (Information and maintenance) functionality.
There are some test cases which are very difficult and need a lot of adaptation from the SDK you are using to get the device to pass conformance.
cet_someone

AlfredoAtSherpa wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 04:03
cet_someone wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 03:16 Alright,then I can see, for the whole ART system, actualy not TMDX654IDKEVM board is the only needed hardware, we also need Device B/D to complete the test.

OK, I explain again. The ART System is currently going through a transition period. The aim is to port all the test cases that use the so-called "standard setup" to the ETS (embedded test system) which requires the TMDX654IDKEVM. I would definitively advice you to get the TMDX654IDKEVM because most of the test cases have already been ported to this TMDX654IDKEVM/ETS system, and of course because you will be able to use the latest version of the ART.
Depending on which stage of the development you are at this moment, if you are just starting, most likely by the time your device is ready for testing a newer version of the ETS will be available.
Having said that, if you are developing a PROFINET IO device, even if it is only class A or class B, I would advice that you get an S7-1500, and if the device will support MRP client (media redundancy protocol), then I would also advice you get the SCALANCE switch and the ET-200. Not so much for conformance purposes but more for the development and for after sales support as well.

If you have another PLC which would let you test the cyclic function of your application, then maybe you could save the cost of the PLC and the TIA Portal license. If you used CODESYS for RaspberryPi the runtime license is very reasonable and the engineering tool requires no license.

I would also advice getting the Profinet Commander licensed version because it will allow you to very easily test and debug the I&M (Information and maintenance) functionality.
There are some test cases which are very difficult and need a lot of adaptation from the SDK you are using to get the device to pass conformance.
well,after upper conversation, I guess I'm so familiar with the hardware system on which the ART could run OK.
And, again thank you for your patient explaination, deer Alfredo!
AlfredoAtSherpa

cet_someone wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 06:55well,after upper conversation, I guess I'm so familiar with the hardware system on which the ART could run OK.
And, again thank you for your patient explaination, deer Alfredo!
You're very welcome, and good luck with this project!
Ask another Question